Monday, May 2, 2011

Race Thoughts

OK - so is it three or four posts today? I guess I have a lot to say. The whole point of setting up this blog was to capture my thoughts and the antics of the kids. So, I guess multiple posts goes with the territory.

Let me just say, I'm starting to get really nervous about the race on Saturday. Really nervous. I remember this from last time too. I just read the confirmation booklet and it brought back memories of miles 10-13.1. They were hard - really hard. Tom actually asked me "Is this harder than childbirth? Because if it is, and I finish before you, then I have something on you." Mind you, at that time, I had given birth to both girls without an epidural. So, needless to say, it kicked me into gear.

I'll be by myself this time. I think that's what is getting me the most. My knee hurts without doing anything with it and that sucks. I've never quit a training run, which is what happened on Saturday. My confidence is totally shaken. My goal was to finish in under 2 hours. I've revamped that goal to be just what I did last time which was 2:04:51.

I need to keep in mind a few things:

1. I'll feel fine once I'm finished. That's always the case. Scratch that - I'll feel awesome once I'm finished. I'll be finished. :) And, I'll have overcome an injury to get there.
2. Don't stop. The knee pain always comes when I stop.
3. The adrenaline will keep me going. The support along the way from the volunteers and residents was amazing. I also remember seeing a sign from a supporter, "Through Him, All Things Are Possible." That got me through a few miles. :)
4. I can always push myself further. One mile is only ten minutes, or less. You can always go faster, longer and harder. Always.
5. Look at her. You can beat her. Those were the words that got me through the last mile. I plan to use those words through the entire race this time. I have always found a place in the pavement and "pulled" myself to that point. I will now be finding a runner, then another runner, then another runner until I reach the end.
6. Load up on Ibuprofen. I've been taking four a day and icing leading up to the event. I plan to up that to six on Friday and three right before the race.

This is the biggest half-marathon in the country. I'm proud to be a part of it. Getting to this point has helped keep me in shape. I plan to do this at least once a year. Maybe trying the Monumental in the meantime. I want to get under 2 hours, but I also understand that I had a baby less than a year ago, so if I finish around my time from two years ago, it's an accomplishment. Why we do this to ourselves, I don't know. But, it certainly feels good to set a goal and work to achieve it. The work to achieve the goal has helped me get into shape, even if I don't reach the 2 hour goal. That is more important to me anyway. I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment