Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pumpkins!

Since this is the last weekend in October we will be at home, I realized yesterday that we MUST do pumpkins! Tom golfed yesterday and I was bumming around the house trying to think of something to do. I have seen a bunch of painted pumpkins on Pinterest and wanted to try it out.

The first try was miserable. I'm not sure what's up with the supposed acrylic paint I have in this set, but it doesn't work. (Now that I think about it, it may be that it was on major clearance at Walmart.) It wasn't even close to thick enough.

So, I wandered into the garage hoping I may find an easily accessible bin marked "paint supplies" that may contain something more fun. I didn't have to go too far when I stumbled across the mother lode - spray paint. And, lots of it. After experimenting with hammered silver and glossy black, I landed on a shiny gold. (The black was actually cool too, but it rolled the wrong way off the stone and became a casualty.) Here's the solid gold pumpkin.


Tom sent me out for dinner supplies and I hit the craft aisle at Walmart. I picked up some good acrylic paint, puffy paint and some ribbon. I came home and painted these bad boys. (The letter is supposed to be a J but Tom thinks it looks like a T).





Then, today after church, we picked up full sized pumpkins for carving. Well, we thought we were going to carve them. But, the girls begged to paint them and it wasn't hard to convince us not to make the mess. So, we tried something new! They really turned out so much better than I thought. And, it gave them the chance to be involved with the process since they're not old enough to use a knife yet.

Here's Tom with the ugliest pumpkin.
Working hard!





And, the finished products.




I took a stab at an argyle pattern. If I were to do this again, I would actually cut out a diamond pattern and trace it onto the pumpkin. But, it's kind of cute anyway. 

On display!



And, my favorite picture of the day. Tom is really so talented. I love this pumpkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment