Sunday, April 29, 2012

Waffles That Would Make My Mama Proud

I'm not sure what possessed me to think about homemade waffles today, but I was determined to make some. It didn't happen until after the kids were in bed but they made for a yummy dinner for me. Plus, I have some frozen for quick breakfasts.

I found a whole wheat waffle recipe on Pinterest linked to 100 Days of Real Foods blog. I picked up whole wheat white flour today while at Walmart. I changed things around a little (noted in the recipe). They are the most delicious waffles I've made at home. Unfortunately, I didn't have real maple syrup on hand so I had to use the fake stuff, but they were fantastic none the less.


INGREDIENTS

  • 2 large eggs - I actually did a big substitute here - see my notes...
  • 1 ¾ cups milk 
  • ¼ cup oil (I used coconut oil) - see my notes...
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon - used way more than this! 
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour 
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • Warmed 100% pure maple syrup for serving - again, fake syrup here
  • Fresh fruit for serving

DIRECTIONS

Preheat your waffle iron. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, honey, cinnamon, and baking soda until well combined.  Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk together just until the large lumps disappear.
When the waffle iron is hot, dab it with a little butter and then ladle some batter onto the center of the iron. Follow the instructions that came with your waffle maker to know how long it should be cooked (mine takes about 3 – 4 minutes each). Keep waffles warm until you finish cooking all of them. Top with pure maple syrup and fruit. Enjoy!

Notes:
Eggs - I didn't use eggs. I found Bob's Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal at Odd Lots a few weeks back and was dying to try it. At the bottom of the bag, in small print, it says that this stuff can be used as a "great" egg substitute. I figured, why not, give it a try. Two tablespoons of the stuff mixed with six tablespoons of warm water - it really did work! Plus, I think with the extra cinnamon, this helped give the waffles a nutty flavor. More fiber and fewer calories than eggs and a whopping 2400mg of Omega 3's. 
Coconut Oil - Over vacation, I had read an article about coconut oil and how wonderful it is. Now, I can't remember a single reason why - you can go Google it - but I bought some today anyway. It comes in solid form and can easily go between solid and liquid. I think the melting point is 77 degrees. Anyway, I just scooped some of the Crisco-like substance into a bowl and zapped it for 30 seconds or so and it became liquid. I did warm the milk in the microwave too so that the oil didn't go back to chunks. 
Seriously folks, they were good. I really didn't think they would be but they were rich and nutty flavored. Next time, I may use vanilla soy milk instead of regular milk. Or, maybe almond milk because I think it would help with the nutty flavor. Either way, they're a home run in my book and so much better for you than the Eggo variety. I hope I can get the kids to agree!
Here's the breakdown of the stats with Eggo Homestyle stats in italics (one square of my homemade waffles would be about even with the two Eggo waffles in their serving size - I have a behemoth waffle maker). 
Calories - 185/190
Fat - 9/7
Fiber - 3.5/1
Protein - 5.2/4
Sodium - 193/430 (!!!!!)
Potassium - 187/0
Ingredient Count - 9/21


No comments:

Post a Comment