Saturday, August 10, 2013

Memory Lane and Two Confessions

After reading an article in Runner's World about the new one-mile races that are popping up, I got an urge to finally do something I've thought about often. I've been racking my long term memory to come up with my mile time in high school, so I decided to dig through my basement boxes to find some records. No luck. My best recollection is that I struggled to break 7 minutes and only did that once or twice. Which, I might add, would not have been enough to keep me on the team if there were any competition for the "distance" running events. In fact, all slow runners were delegated to the distance group.

Why do I care? Well, it's really pretty simple. I'm in the best shape of my life. I think the almost 34 year old version of myself would put up a good fight with the 15 year version of myself, even if I have gained a pound a year. :)

After the marathon, I'm thinking that may be a good goal to tackle. Beat the 15 year old me at the mile. I have a message into the daughter of one of my coaches in hopes that I can find that time.

I may not have found my mile time, but I sure did find some other good stuff. My favorite find is the travel journal from the trip Tom and I took to Europe right after we graduated. More blog posts on that one to come!

This is the oldest photo I found. This is my brother, Matt, who looks so much like Jack its crazy. This was at Grandpa Paul and Ellie's as I remember the step stool that was used as a high chair for all of us. Brings back so many good memories.


Fast forward to high school. Here is a post card I received from Tom when he was on vacation to Myrtle Beach. This kids, is what we did before texting and Photoshop. 


Apparently, cutting out faces and putting them on bodies was a common event in the Joyner Household. I remember getting this from Tom's mom when we were dating. I fit right in...no?


Confession #1: In high school, my parents were generous enough to send me with the French Exchange group from the high school. We all attended one party while there and I had enough forethought to save the bottle cap from the first beer I ever drank. My French is still good enough to know that this was a twist off and probably the French equivalent of a Pabst Blue Ribbon. Sorry to disappoint you mom and dad and Madame Waite. I really only had one beer. Ou, en Francais? Un Biere.


Moving on to prouder moments of high school... There was a time when I ran for every office that came up for an election. If there was a vote, I was a candidate (except for homecoming and prom court - never got to endure that one). This was a sign my dad made for the campaign of Junior Class President. I'm not sure it made the cut amongst the ones hung in the halls of NHS. I lost this race and every one before and every one after until... read on...


She wins! She wins! After something like 11 elections, I finally won one. At this point, it was a running family joke. I was a big fat loser but felt nothing like one. :) Turns out, Senior Class President meant little more than organizing the first reunion. It didn't matter - Mom and dad put together this poem to celebrate! 

You did it! You did it! You did it!
Ms. President of the Class.
How many times did it take until,
finally good things came to pass? {Actually? 11 times}

We knew you could do it.
We never lost hope.
You're such a great person,
No one thinks you're a dope!

Being strong and yet tender,
you're the perfect mix.
You're the very best leader
for the Class of '96! {Editor's note: I was the Class of '97 but '96 does rhyme better with six}

And now, Ms. President,
What do you think?
You're really left your mark
on NHS, Inc.

Your class must be proud to put you in the lead 
It was you that they wanted,
You would succeed.

We're proud of you too Saz.
No dream could be better.
Than to live each day,
knowing you're our go-getter!

We love you Sara!
Dad, Mom, Matt & Max
September 23, 1996

I'm pretty impressed with this. I remember when I was in junior high and I caught a glimpse of my mom's high school yearbook and thought, there's no way I can live up to mom's high school career! She did everything! Well, right now, I'm looking at that poem and thinking, there's no way I can live up to that kind of support to our kids! But, I sure will try!

Graduation came along and I found the usual award and graduation programs. My favorite is this certificate signed by our Congressman, Bob Ney. Congressman Ney got in some hot water during the Jack Abramoff scandal and did some time about 10 years after I received this certificate. I have another connection to Mr. Ney that you can ask me about in person some time. (See the smudge on his signature? I think I wet my finger and tried to smudge it to see if it was real. Why? No idea.)


One of my favorite extracurriculars I did in high school was Youth in Government. Not only did Tom and I start dating on this infamous trip, but it was a great learning opportunity. We spent the year preparing a bill and then presenting it to a mock committee and legislature. I know it's small print, but if you read the bill, I still think it's a pretty good idea, but likely impossible to enforce. 

Here's the gist... If you're under 21 and decide to drop out of school, you have to pass a basic skills test. If you're over 21, you have to either sign a waiver rejecting any public aid until passing the basic skill test or enter a GED program. If you're under 21, you must enter the program until you can pass the skill test. 


Sometime between high school and college, Tom's parents went away for the weekend. Tom, Eric and I got together to hang out and decided to take pictures with their camera. I think Barb & Vic were surprised to find these when they had the film developed!




Off to college we went. I found some super sweet notes from Tom in which he said he really wanted me to go to Miami with him. I don't really remember that but I'm sure it's something we discussed a lot! 

I couldn't believe how much mail I had saved from my freshman year! Mom and dad wrote a ton and then my cousins and aunts and uncles too. I remember going to the mailbox every day and being so excited to see something in mine! Again, something else I really want to do for my kids - even in this age of texting and Skyping. 

Here's one from my cousin, Nicole, who was in elementary at the time. She's getting married now! Time flies! Good marker work Nicole!


Can't get this one to flip, but it's from her brother, Ryan. Nice work!


And, here's a letter from a little one in our church youth group. We're Facebook friends still and I remembered that she used to be my pen-pal. Although, I'm not totally sure I ever responded. Sorry Katie. :) 



I must have picked up cross-stitching at some point in college. I vaguely remember it. Who does that?!?! I found this one in my bin too. I am kind of impressed but also kind of confused. What the heck is it?!


Finally, I'll leave everyone with this picture, which is Confession #2. On the left is my brother and on the right is Tom's sister, both in high school and probably under 16. They were visiting Miami at some point and we took this picture with our good friend and Tom's roommate. I'm so sure that our parents would have been thrilled to know this was going on. Turns out they both turned out to be pretty cool kids and weren't worse for wear. :)

















No comments:

Post a Comment