Sunday, January 5, 2014

Book List 2013

I am dreadfully behind. Really. In fact, I'm not even sure I'll get this post finished. I just don't have blogging in me these days, so it's fallen by the wayside.

I do want to list the books I read last year just like I did last year. My goal was to read two per month. I didn't hit it. In fact, I didn't even read as many as last year. I'm pretty sure that was due to my addiction to Candy Crush. On December 31st, I decided to delete it from my phone and read instead of playing. I've since read two books. We've also been home a lot so I'm sure that rate won't continue, but I should be able to take on a few more this year.

Again, I won't be extensively reviewing the individual books, but here is the down and dirty. (* = book club book)

1. Tales of the City - Armistead Maupin - This is one that I found on the library's online site. It was an OK book but I'm not sure I would recommend it. 
2. The Rocky Road to Romance - Janet Evanovich - This is the first of her's I've read. I read it on the beach, so I'm not sure if it was good, or if I was just happy to be on the beach. :) 
3. The Second Time Around - Mary Higgins Clark - See #2 - typical Mary Higgins Clark
4. Sacre Bleu - Christopher Moore - I really liked this one. A friend suggested it and I'm glad I read it. It was pretty bizarre but an interesting mix of fiction and non-fiction based in Paris during the Post-Impressionist Art Movement (had to Google that - think Van Gogh and Toulouse-Lautrec).
*5. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - Mark Haddon - I have to say, I wasn't a fan. Too deep maybe?
6. Sail - James Patterson - Typical James Patterson
7. 1st to Die - James Patterson - See #6 - I can only read two of his in a row before I get bored. I think I started another one in this series but didn't finish it. Or, maybe I did. I can never keep his straight either.
8. Lean In - Sandra Sandberg - READ THIS BOOK! All women (especially mothers of daughters), fathers of daughters, teachers and business people should read this book. In fact, all women and men should read this book. Period. Excellent. 
*9. Kisses From Katie - Katie J. Davis - Good, easy read about an amazing girl who is making a real difference in Uganda. 
10. Big Trouble - Dave Barry - Don't bother. He attempted a novel and, in my opinion, he should stick to comedy. (Sorry if that sounds harsh.)
*11. The Weird Sisters - Eleanor Brown - This was a book club book and good. I liked it and it was really different than the types of books I would usually read. 
12. The Prizewinner of Defiance, Ohio - Terry "Tuff" Ryan - This was a good one. It's a memoir written about a mother who entered all kinds of contests to provide for her family during the 1950's. 
*13. Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier - Think the Nicole Kidman movie. I have to say I liked the book more than the movie. It was a little long in the flowery language describing random landscapes and such, but I have a knack for skipping right over that. 
*14. Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls - Yet another book I would have never picked up but glad I did. Another memoir (read more of these than usual this year) written by a woman about her crazy childhood. 
15. Redeeming Love - Francine Rivers - I had this book recommended by a few people a few different times and just couldn't get excited about it. I put it off for a long time. Then, when I started it, I finished it in two days by staying up until 2 and 3AM. It is a western loosely based on Hosea in the Bible. Great book. 

*16. See You in 100 Years - Logan Ward - Another memoir! A New Yorker and his wife move to the mountains and live like they would have 100 years ago. It was a great book for a lot of reasons. Mainly because it made me realize I'm glad I live in 2014 and not 1914. 
17. Marathoning for Mortals - John Bingham - OK for what it was. In the midst of my heavy training, it was fun to read about other people running and training. 

Also, right at the end of last year, I finished another book - "Killing Lincoln" - loved it and highly recommend it! Forget about Bill O'Reilly's politics. It was a good book and highly entertaining and educational. 

Can I hit 24 this year? Hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment