Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Indianapolis Marathon - Weeks 1 & 2

Well, training week one and two are in the books. I started off this cycle with two weeks worth of misses on mileage. I skipped a run both weeks. They were short runs and in the grand scheme of things, not a big deal. However, it can't continue and I need to step it up a notch. 

Week One called for a 3, 4, 3 and 5 mile run. I skipped the Saturday run but got in an extra half mile through the other two weekly runs. I know. Big deal. This was our vacation week and usually I start strong on vacation and then fizzle out. So, missing a day isn't too awfully bad. 

Week two called for a 3, 3, 4 and 7. I skipped the 4. Somehow, a 13 mile week while training for a marathon seems worthless. I've chosen the positive attitude however and viewed these weeks as my warm up weeks. Really, they've only called for 15 and 17 miles which isn't anything crazy. Especially compared to the 40 mile week in September. 

This week, my goal is to get in all of the runs. I knocked out the first three miles this morning. This goal means I've got to hit the road before work in the morning. With 90 degree temps and super high humidity, afternoon and evening running is just out. Thursday and Saturday are both 4 miles and then Sunday starts the real long runs - 9 miles. I've been trying to spend one day on hills too so I'm thinking Thursday this week. The race in October is fairly hilly so I'm trying to prepare the legs and the lungs. 

I can't say I've felt great about my running these two weeks. I've not had a lot of confidence building moments. My times have been painfully slow and my lungs aren't participating like I think they should. In fact, 26.2 seems pretty undoable most times. But, I know I can finish. It's just how fast. 

My secondary goal is to watch and track what I'm eating this week. Since vacation, I've gained 5 pounds. Yikes. That is exactly the opposite of what I need. I know with weight loss comes time loss. I read somewhere the exact calculation - something like with every x pounds you lose, you'll shave y seconds off per mile. I need all the help I can get on both counts. So, it's time to start eating like a marathoner and not a couch potato. :)

Here's to a great week!

~after my run this morning - 8:30 and 80% humidity!!!!~


No comments:

Post a Comment