Friday, March 8, 2013

This is the way. Walk in it.

I don't think there are any Bible verses, passages, stories or parables about God slapping someone in the face. This week, I got slapped.

I've always been fairly skeptical of people who claim they prayed for something and then felt led to do something very specific. Honestly, I always chalked it up to the person "feeling" they "felt" led and in reality they just decided what they wanted to do. You see, I'm a logical person. And, "feeling led" just isn't very logical.

Some would probably call me cynical. They would probably be right.

One thing I have always been able to do is to see God's guiding hand in my life - much later. Through a series of events, most of them random and not thoroughly planned (by me anyway), I am where, and who, I am today. Usually, it's through what I perceive in the moment to be a miserable position. Moving to a new town in my 8th grade year comes to mind. Devastating. Years later, I can understand how that move made me a better person by building character, and most importantly, put Tom and I in the same town to later date, get married and have a family.

But, usually it is so subtle, I can only watch it on the big screen. That is, like a movie of my life, I can see His plot appearing on screen - documentary style. This documentary always ends in a cliffhanger though. I never know what is next.

This week, God slapped me in the face with a plan. This week, through a series of events, He let me know that He is in charge. This week, He showed me His plan, which is better than any I have in mind for myself. This week, He did not give me subtle nudges and encouragements as He usually does by leading me silently and making me guess as to who's plan I'm really following. This week, He pushed and shoved me along the path and made His presence known. And, somehow, He's letting me know its OK to blindly follow and be led.

I write this for all of the other cynics out there. Yes. God is usually silently guiding us along the way. Every once in a while though, He lets us know what's up. And in a big way.

I am on a path and it is not my own. I don't know what is next or what He has planned. I do know that I have made the right decisions this week. I've been given a renewed faith that He knows what is best for me. And, I know that, every once in a while, He'll slap me in the face and say "Wake up Sara! I'm right here! THIS is what you're supposed to do." And, I'll listen.

{a quick google search yielded these verses- not quite a slap in the face, but they all point to hearing the true word of God}

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Psalm 16:11

Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. Jeremiah 33:3

And, my favorite...

And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left. Isaiah 30:31

Sounds like a whisper doesn't it?

This is the way. Walk in it.

This may be my new motto for 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment