Saturday, December 3, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Another great Thanksgiving in the books! I know it's over a week late and into the thick of the Christmas season, but I need to record the weekend for posterity's sake.

We arrived in Ohio early in the afternoon on Wednesday. We went over to Joyner's to visit and let the kids burn off some steam while Tom hunted. We worked on some puzzles and just laid low. Jack loved the stairs there and managed to get his head stuck (just for a second) in the banisters. I got this cute picture of him on the steps there.



Afterward we went over to my parent's and put the kids to bed and ate some yummy Turkey and Bison Meatballs. This time she added some shallots and spinach. Yum! This meal was all in preparation for the next day's feat...

Thursday morning, we bundled up and headed out to the Granville Turkey Trot 5K. It was a fun race and I was able to keep up with mom and her running partners so I was happy. We finished in about 29 1/2 minutes. Not bad considering I hadn't run for some time. (I've since registered for the Indy Mini again and that will certainly take some more training.) Here's two photos after the race.



After a quick shower, Josie and I hit CVS for my annual day of Thanksgiving trip to get a bunch of crap I don't need just to get the Extra Bucks. I went twice over the weekend and spent about $10 and got a lot of stuff most of which will just go in the garage sale. But, I now have about $35 in Extra Bucks to spend on other stuff during the year, like diapers. I think Josie had fun with me. She kept asking me to take her picture with random things. I finally said yes while waiting on the checkout.


After our shopping trip, we went over to Joyner's for a short little visit since Grammy and Grandpa were both there. The kids did some coloring and visited a while.

Then, it was time for the big meal. Our Thanksgivings are always a group effort. We really missed Matt this year - he's our potato masher. Here are some prep photos.

Corn pone in the oven.

Tom's gravy - honestly, I've never tasted better. I guess that's what you get for basting the turkey with three sticks of butter and a bottle of white wine.

My favorite dish underway - brown sugared sweet potatoes.

Dad bringing the turkey out of the oven.

Dad prepping the turkey for carving.

Mom working on the sweet potatoes and Tom working on gravy I think.

Corn pone and gravy - we thank Tom's family every year for introducing us to corn pone. :) 

Tom and the fantastic gravy.

Sweet potatoes!!!!!

This is where the magic is happening. Turkey carving! The lucky few get to sneak in a little taste. 

I usually am in charge of kid-wrangling. I think I may have helped set the table or filled water glasses or something. But, this year, I also really wanted to get some good pictures. And, you know what they say about too many cooks in the kitchen... :) 




Yes. She's eating coconut M&M's before Thanksgiving Dinner. 


Mom and dad snuck in some Jack time too.



I set up a little makeshift tripod and tried to set the timer on the camera. Not something I've ever done, so it was a little sketchy. I felt like we were back on Christmas Eve and the DeLawder family photos. :) Managed to capture the moment anyway. (It looks like Jack is smiling. He's not. He's mid-scream.)

The finished product. Check out the color of that gravy. Wow!


After dinner and clean up, Barb & Vic came over for a little dessert. The kids continued to run around and have a blast. I think they watched a movie or something. 

We ended the night with a quick walk to show the kids the Christmas lights that Pop put out that day. It was a fun way to end the night and so pretty! 



The girls wanted to read books by the "hot back" or the kitchen fire place. I caught this sweet picture.

We managed to fit a lot more into the weekend. Here are some additional photos I took during the weekend. Fun was had by all!



I have this same nativity set but it looks so much better at mom's house! 



Such a fitting end to a blog post. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment