Saturday, August 23, 2014

Surprise! It's Race Week!

{I wrote this post forever ago and forgot to take it out of "draft" mode after the race. SPOILER ALERT: I didn't get a PR and neither did mom. There is always next year...}

Back in May, I received a Facebook message from a friend in Newark to contact one of my mom's running buddies, Kathy. I texted her right away and here's what she had for me...


Perhaps I said yes too soon. Here is what followed. 

Yes. It is fast. In fact, it is a 7:44:30 per mile pace. I'm not sure I had clocked a mile under 8 since high school. But, I was up for the challenge as I've never really done any training for a 5K and I wanted to see what I could do. 

At the beginning of June, I started working on a training plan I found online. I don't remember where I found it and it doesn't really matter anyway since I didn't really follow it. 

What I did do was run faster. 

To run faster... you have to run faster.

Every time I went out, I tried to stay under 9 minutes. Once a week, I would run two miles relatively fast (8:45/8:30 ish) and then run a progressively faster mile. Last week, I hit 7:16 on my third mile and was thrilled! 



Other than that, I didn't do too much. I just ran and ran faster. 

This week, I sent Kathy a text asking how mom was feeling and if she was thinking of doing anything better than 24:00. They agreed that much into the 23's wasn't super doable which made me feel a little better. I was glad to hear she wasn't thinking totally crazy thoughts.  I was heavily doubting my ability to string two miles under 8 together. Although, I know she can do it. She's a beast. :) She ran a 7:15 the day after I ran my 7:16. 

My guess is we will push each other through it on Saturday. And then, she will be beat me. 

By the time you all read this, we'll know the results. It's been fun training for a short race and learning to run faster and not longer. I think it will only help in my half training for the fall. If for no other reason, now I know I can run faster. Plus, I've had the pre-race butterflies just like every week but with less stress on my body.

Most importantly, it has motivated me to run this summer. I usually take the summer off or at least slack off. Mom has always set such good examples for me in so many areas of my life. This is no exception. 

If my mama can do it, so can I. :)









No comments:

Post a Comment