Friday, February 28, 2014

Critz Tybee Run Fest - Part Two - Race Day!

(You can start on Part One if you'd like!)

Woke up to some crummy weather news on Saturday. Rain was already steadily falling.

And, not just rain, but then they started calling for thunderstorms too.

49 and raining is not pleasant and feels cold. I know this because it's just too close to the race in October which was 45 and raining. We bundled up the best we could and had a quick breakfast. The half had a later start because one of the other races started first. We tried to stay home as long as we could since it was pouring. 

Before leaving on the trip, I went to get a once in forever manicure - even though my nails were really short! I had them done to match the shirt I was going to wear which coincidentally also matched my socks and my watch. When it comes to running gear, it is possible I go slightly overboard on the purple. 

Turns out, no one ever saw my purple shirt because I ran the whole thing with my jacket. Which, by the way, was a Christmas gift from Tom and I absolutely love it! One of those things I would never buy myself but I'm so glad to have. 

When we arrived at the start line, they told us the start would be delayed since the first race was delayed due to the storms. (If you ran all of the races they had that weekend, you would run a full marathon.) We took the opportunity to take a few photos. (Forgive the lighting - it was really a nasty day!)

We got started just a few minutes behind schedule. It was a fairly crowded start considering it was a small race. I'm not going to recap this one because it's just been too long to remember! All I know is that it was one of my worst feeling races and if Claudia hadn't been there to push me and my friends hadn't been there to cheer me on, I'm not sure I would have broken 2 hours. The first part of the race felt OK, but it started going downhill around mile 5 or 6 when the torrential rain started in. At one point, I thought I was going to lose my breakfast which is a first too. All in all, not a great race, but I will say that I gave it what I had and came out with a great time that I would have been very proud of just 9 months ago so I won't beat myself up about it.

Enough with the negativity! We had some great cheerleaders along the way! At one stop, Claudia even did a cartwheel for the crowd. :)

Finally, it was over! I passed by the stand passing out cups of PBR to round the corner for the final 0.1. If I look happy, it's because I was! I love races that end by turning onto the last little section on a straightaway.

All done!

I wish I could say that the weather improved, but it did not. Rainy and cool rounded out the day. After showers and lunch, we went to the lighthouse area in Tybee to find the local art show. We went into the little shop there and went to the beach as well. The gray skies weren't helping though! We decided to come back the next day for better pictures in hopes the sun would be out. But, just in case, we snapped a few photos.

Along the way though, I did find this cute little beach cottage that was for sale. 

Then, back to Savannah we went! We did a little more shopping and found Byrd's Cookies. At first, we were a little confused but then figured out that the cookie bar was all about sampling their selections! Yummo! They're little biscuit-y type cookies and they had a handful of different flavors, both sweet and savory. Most of us bought some for our kids... or maybe for ourselves! 

We also did a little shopping the Paula Deen gift shop which was full of butter related gifts! We settled in for an early dinner there at Lady & Sons which was good southern cooking. I'm just glad I had run 13 miles earlier to get some of it burned off! 

Home again to settle in for the night after another great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment