Friday, June 22, 2012

What to Do Next?

So, for some reason, I've been thinking a lot about my next fitness goal. I'm big on accomplishing something once and not having near the satisfaction of finishing it the second time. I've done P90X once and couldn't do it again. Insanity once and couldn't do it again. The only thing I've ever done more than once is a half-marathon. I've pretty much decided I'm going to do another half this fall. At least... But, I'm thinking it may be time to take it up a notch.

I've considered training for a triathlon or most likely, just a sprint triathlon (usually a 750m swim, 12 mile bike and 5k run). Problem is, I don't really swim. I was on swim team back when I was 8 but somehow I don't think that will get me very far. Not only do I not swim, I don't have a place to go to swim. I've had one person volunteer to help me train and I'm sure I could find a handful of people to give me advice, but still need that place to train. I don't really bike either, but could get through 12 miles without a problem. Won't be the fastest biker on the course, but well, I'm used to that...

But, really, I've been thinking more and more about running a full marathon. I really can't put my finger on the reason why, but just think I'm ready to try something new. I think, truly, I'm just ready for a new challenge. I don't really enjoy running, but I certainly enjoy the calorie burn. Plus, I really look forward to the feeling of "mission accomplished." Last week, I ran 17 miles and I'm on par to do 20 this week. I just looked at the calendar and if I take this as week one of my training (which would include an 8 mile run on Sunday), I would be perfectly timed for the Indianapolis Marathon on October 20th. I'd probably follow this training routine by Hal Higdon.

Now, I probably won't do this. For one, it's such a time commitment. I mean, we're talking 18, 19, 20 mile runs in a week. Tom would have to be totally on board with this one and not want to train for it too. (We tend to take on big goals like this together.) Not to mention, I'm not totally sure I can hack it or if my feet can take it.

But, on the other hand, I'd be in the best shape of my life. And, probably the best weight too. And, I'd be pretty proud of myself. Not sure those are the best reasons, or if there is a good reason to put yourself through that much torture. But, people, lots of people, do it all the time. Perhaps, it's time to see what all of the fuss is about... Or, perhaps not... I'll keep you all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment